Sunday, April 15, 2007

Formative Years

As much as I try to keep up with zeitgeist, I can't help but remember the time when my adult sense of style and aesthetic (and thus the prism through which I view current trends) was first shaped. I really started paying attention to fashion in my late teens, spending what little money I had on copies of ID magazine and The Face. Shalom Harlow was at the peak of her game while Devon was the hot new girl. Galliano and McQueen were just starting to make their mark while Stella had just graduated from Central St Martins. The mid-late nineties were all about the Antwerp 6, ganguro girls, Hussein Chalayan, a re-energized Comme des Garcons and a dogmatic, risky kind of sophistication. Socialites were kept to the social pages and celebrities relegated to the tabloids. Extreme, unworldly and unconcerned with diffusion labels and chain store collaborations, fashion was a much more rarefied beast.

2 comments:

cloudcontrol said...

is that devon as in devon aoki, the mistress of the Orient, and empress supreme of all things Eastern? a.k.a. Princess Kasumi in that pearler of a film, D.O.A.?

Hehehe.

Evol Kween said...

Oh, I can't see the pictures :( I'm unsubscwibing!