Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Jon´s European Adventure - Part I : Florence

In fear of burning out after enduring yet another hectic and stressful year at the hands of the merciless NYU Department of Economics, I have decided to remove myself to more salubrious surrounds, exchanging the hustle and bustle of Manhattan for the languorous European countryside.

After the obligatory nightmare of security checkpoints, flight delays, economy class air travel and one particularly mad sprint between the terminals of Charles de Gaulle, during which I inadvertantly clobbered (and quite possibly maimed) a small child with my Tumi suit bag, I find myself basking in the glorious Florentine sunlight.

As to be expected, Florence is beautiful, with its narrow medieval streets and buildings suffused with brilliant, gorgeous light that is at times, almost too much to bear. My first night was spent drinking on the banks of the Arno with my gracious host Karel (a fellow econ PhD student studying at the European University Institute). Sufficiently intoxicated, we wandered the empty streets until we came across the back entrance of a bakery a few hours before dawn where we purchased and consumed the most amazing italian pastries. Quite frankly, I could get used to this life.

Thats all from me for now! I shall remain in Florence until the 28th. Next stop Turin! Stay tuned for the next installation of Jon´s European Adventure!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I can see and smell it all as if I were there myself. Of all the places in Italy I've been to, none of them moved me as mush as Firenze. I'm glad to hear that you're having a grand experience in that European gem of a city.

Evol Kween said...

Yo Yo Jon! Sorry I missed yr call yesterday! Sounds like yr having an amazing time and a well deserved break. Mmmm, cute Italian boys....

Anonymous said...

Hey! I missed your call too! Because I was on the Gold Coast, in sunny Surfer's Paradise. Could we BE in two more aesthetically disparate locations? Bahahahaha. Although I DID visit Palazzo Versace (at D's suggestion). It was thoroughly underwhelming - neither grand, nor large, nor garish enough! I walked away feeling as though I had just had unsatisfying sex with an Italian whose internet profile had promised so much more.

I hears from L'Ada (as she's now known - read lah-DAH) that you managed to catch up with Jake. Sounds like fun, even though he tells me his Italian isn't very good... hehehe.

Anyway, glad to hear you're having fun, even though I'm missing your electronic presence on my workplace desktop.

I'm expecting photos soon.